Saturday, November 8, 2008


I am very happy how the experiment with the ABS cement went. After curing all night the patch cured up hard and strong.
If you look back a few posts, you will see that my fridge vent was cracked around the edges where the rivets were and it was leaking combustion gas and dirt.

Before I drilled out the rivets, I placed shipping tape over the rivets and pressed it down to secure the small pieces of broken ABS plastic. I then drilled through the tape and rivets and removed the vent.

I have already documented the repair of the hole drilled in the vent. This is how I did the edges.
I used my Dremel tool and a burr to cut a vee in the cracks.

I then brushed a coat of ABS cement into the cracks to weld them up. This still left the problem of the broken and missing pieces. I had some leftover aluminum window screen from replacing the screens on the windows. I cut this about 1 1/2 inches wide and bent it around the lip. I held it in place with blue tape where required. I then started brushing on layers of ABS cement. This should harden up and the imbedded screen wire should secure the rivets and thin plastic along the edge.

This is where I left it for tonight. Tomorrow I will flip it over and do the riveting surface. I will post more photos later.


Frank Yensan said...

John, I am observing very closely to see how this goes. It is giving me something to do while I eat THIS EXCELLENT BEEF JERKY SOMEONE SENT ME.... I will send a donation to the VAP as you requested.

alumanutz said...

That was fast. I didn't think the jerky fairy traveled that fast!