Friday, April 10, 2009

What a Jerk!

For those of you that have tried my jerky, I thought you might like to see how I make it.

Those of you that haven't, I do send out samples when I can.

First, I start out with a good cut of meat. I don't think you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear! Like Airstreams, start with the best and hopefully, with enough hard work, you will end up with the best!

This will end up as less than one pound of jerky.

First step is to sharpen your knives. One of my other odd quirks is sharp knives. I have about six or seven different knife sharpeners. My current favorite system is called "Edge Pro". There is nothing like trying to slice raw, wiggly meat with a dull knife.

After trimming off all surface fat I slice the eye in half length wise then male 1/4 inch thick slices.
I lay them out on a baking sheet in a single layer.

I then sprinkle them with a mixture of curing agents and a homemade Cajun mixture. Then flip them over and do the other side. It then goes in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours for the cure to work. I also make other flavors.

This is a Cajun spice I made for Marc in Washington. I ship this stuff all over the US. Some has even made it up to Maryland!

The real secret to good jerky is the proper refreshments while making it. This one is for you, Marcus!

Then it goes into a dryer. I don't smoke it anymore as it is difficult to get a uniform taste. Every piece of meat absorbs smoke differently. Some tasted great, some tasted like we had a forest fire in the kitchen. I get the flavor from the spices.

A close up view. The hardest part is to dry it enough to preserve it but not so dry that it is like eating ceramic tile.

I then vacuum seal it and put on a label.

As usual, this is all done under the watchful eye of the "Boss". Believe me, if anything falls on the floor there is no 5 second rule. The boss gets any accidents, plus any trimmings.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fixing Broken Glass

With the tub removed and placed in my shop I thought I would do a little work on it. I am always amazed at how many holes people can put into an airstream. I decided to start out with a clean slate and fill all the holes.

I started out by covering all of the holes with blue painters tape. Each piece of tape is at least one hole, sometimes two or three!

Then the holes were brushed with resin, fiberglass mat was placed over them and the mat was soaked with more resin.

After this cured I fliped the whole thing over and drippled resin into each hole to fill them. Each one was then sanded smooth.
The cut seen in my previous post in the bottom drain was filled with Marine Tek epoxy and sanded smooth.

I couldn't resist leaving a little souvenir for the next person that tears this trailer apart. A business card embedded in fiberglass!

Next I will move onto the sink. Meanwhile I will continue to research painting these. I don't think "Tuff as Tile" will work because the whole thing will flex during re installation and crack the coating. I am leaning toward using the flexible bumper paint Frank used in Anna.

The required Toby picture. My wife snuck into this one.