A few days ago I got a PM from a friend, Steve Hansen (Blues Safari blog). He and I are both working on 1966 Safaris. We are also at about the same stage in our repairs. He asked if I had any suggestions for keeping water out of the trailer. Well it just so happened that I had started doing that very thing the day before. I wrote back to him that I would put that process on this blog so here we go!
First, these are the products I plan on using, along with the vulcam which is not pictured.
I found this at a local auto parts store. It will be used on all of the interior joints, just like the stuff airstream used on the end cap segments.
This is the area along the front street side window. Its between the window and the skin.
You can see in these photos that I got some special rivets. They cost a lot more money but they are spares left over from the Wally Byam gold trailer. I know the salesman would not lie to me, would he?
This is the same area with Acryl-R applied.
You can see in some of my previous posts that almost the entire street side was repaired with Olympic rivets. Every one of them leaked. After replacing all of them with bucked rivets, I hit it lightly with a wire brush.
I then gave the area a light coat of the "Mar-Hyde" rubberized coating. I really like this stuff. It was about 6 bucks a can and I think 3-4 cans will do the entire trailer.
This is an area above the entry door. I am not sure how I got moisture in this area but I wire brushed it clean.
I used the Alcoa Gutter Seal on it. This stuff looks the same as the Acryl-R but costs more.
Finally, Toby was getting an attitude since he did not get any "Face time" in the last few posts. Santa came by a little early and brought him a squeaky squirrel.
As you can see, He is not in the mood to share!
Merry Christmas my friends!!
Best Gardening Channels on You tube
1 day ago